Director – Power Sector Market Advisor
Energy and Security Group (ESG) is searching for a qualified Director – Power Sector Market Advisor with experience developing implementing competitive wholesale electricity markets in Pakistan or Central Asian countries.
The Director will be responsible for managing and leading efforts to increase power-sector competition through support to develop Pakistan’s wholesale electricity market. This effort will assist the government to develop and implement Pakistan’s wholesale electricity market. To address the existing processes, systems, policy, and codes that limit power sector advancements, the objective is to explore new concepts such as energy wheeling, electricity auctions, expanding power system contractual flexibility, monitoring of a wholesale market, or creating a market for ancillary services. The work will improve power sector governance, expand the accessibility of private sector investment, and lead to increased power system capacity. It will focus on setting up transparent competitive systems.
The ideal candidate will have over 10 years of experience advising governments on developing and maintaining transparent competitive power market systems that attract private sector investment for renewable energy projects. Successful candidates will be comfortable managing multiple senior and junior analyst, familiarity with USAID contracts, experience working closely with counterparts in government and power sector entities, and knowledge of challenges in Pakistan’s power sector governance and competitive markets.
The Power Sector Market Advisor will be responsible for leading and planning activities as follows:
- Assist the government of Pakistan develop and implement Pakistan’s wholesale electricity market.
- Address the existing processes, systems, policy, and codes that limit power sector advancements, explore new concepts such as energy wheeling, electricity auctions, expanding power system contractual flexibility, monitoring of a wholesale market, or creating a market for ancillary services.
- Improve power sector governance, expand the accessibility of private sector investment for renewable energy projects, and lead to increased power system capacity.
- Develop transparent competitive procurement systems.
- Prepare technical reports, work plans, and other programmatic reports.
- Work with multiple stakeholders, including senior government ministry officials and power sector entities senior management.
- Responsible for management, execution and delivery of all activities related to the objective
- Degree in Engineering, Economics, Finance, or Business Management
- Fluency in English
- Experience managing USAID or other donor funded energy projects in lead capacity
- Experience managing teams, including mentoring and coaching staff
- Experience leading projects developing wholesale electricity markets, that improves competitiveness and transparency of power sector investment and technology advancement; increase private sector investment in renewable energy projects; improve power sector governance; and developing competitive procurement
- Experience preparing technical and other programmatic reports.
- Experience working with Senior government officials, power sector entities management teams and donors (such as USAID, WB, ADB) officials.
- Experience in Pakistan or Central or South Asia preferred.
ESG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and celebrates diversity in our work force. ESG does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other protected status under applicable law.