Operations Research Internship – Summer 2018
The Energy and Security Group (ESG) is a small professional services company serving U.S. government, industry, finance, and international development agency clients in the U.S. and overseas. We assist clients in addressing critical energy and natural resource issues at the nexus of national and international security interests. ESG focuses on expanding the use of clean energy and environmental technologies and practices to enhance economic performance, promote energy security, improve quality of life, and advance resource sustainability.
ESG is offering a paid summer Operations Research Internship at our Reston, VA office. The intern will work closely with our Analysis & Modeling team. The position is for 30-40 hours/week. Applicants must be able to work 10 weeks between 5/15/2018 and 8/15/2018.
To apply, please submit a resume, unofficial transcript, and cover letter on Indeed.com or follow the instructions at http://energyandsecurity.com/current-openings.html. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications are due by 11:59PM EST on 1/15/2018.
The Operations Research intern will support the Analysis & Modeling team to include database and spreadsheet modeling, data analysis, analytical tool development in Microsoft (MS) Access, and preparation of reports and briefs. Specific job requirements may include:
- Develop custom solutions and update existing models in Access, Excel, and Tableau.
- Support testing of analytical models.
- Analyze relational datasets with an emphasis on data visualization and interpretation.
- Maintain and update data from a variety of sources.
- Draft presentations, technical reports, and project documentation.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the modeling and analysis team.
- Enrollment in a Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics, Operations Research, Engineering, Economics, or similar quantitative field.
- Proficient in at least one programming language (e.g. C, VBA, Python).
- Strong communication and technical writing skills.
- A minimum GPA of 3.5.
- Knowledge of relationship databases.
- Proficient in MS Access and Excel.
- Proficient in programming and modeling with VBA and SQL.
- Proficient with data visualization software (e.g., Tableau).
- Ability to obtain a DoD security clearance.
ESG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and celebrates diversity in our work force. ESG does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other protected status under applicable law.